Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Herby Mustard Chicken : IHCC

"Easy Entertainning", our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are currently cooking from Donna Hay's recipes. This week is all about "Hosting made simple - dishes perfect to serve to guests but easy to prepare", and this Herby Mustard Chicken is just  so simple and so easy!!



Originally, this chicken meal is served with Olive Oil Mash, but instead of making that, I have served the chicken with some Potato Salad and some Broccoli instead. I've made two or three slits on the chicken thighs pieces, and marinated with lots of chopped parsley and chopped rosemary leaves, with some hot English mustard, white wine vinegar, garlic salt and black pepper. According to the recipe, the chicken pieces are marinated with the herbs for 15 minutes, but I have keep the chicken pieces in the refrigerator for about an hour or so.

And, the chicken pieces are supposed to be pan-fried in the saucepan until cooked through, but I have opted for an easier way of cooking the chicken, baked it in the oven instead. This way, I do not have to stand over the stove to pan-fry the chicken and also less cleaning up to do. I simply line the baking tray with foil, arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer and baked them till done, about 40-45 minutes. I baste the chicken with all the juices that has accumulated in the baking tray twice during the baking time. Simple and easy! And while these are baking, I made the Potato Salad and the Broccoli, and everything is ready by the time the chicken pieces are cooked through. Easy and simple!

The chicken is tender, moist and delicious! 

Herby Mustard Chicken
(adapted from donnahay.com)
1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
2 teaspoons hot English mustard
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves
1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
2 tablespooons white wine vinegar
sea salt and cracked black pepper
8x120gm chicken thighs, bone in and skin on

Combine parsley, mustard, garlic, rosemary, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes.
Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Spoon over the pan juices and serve with the mash.
(I baked the chicken in the oven at 200C for 40 minutes until cooked through).


Drop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) to see what the others are cooking.

19 comments:

  1. Joyce, chicken recipes always get me excited! I agree that baking is so much more convenient. I have not used mustard in a marinade before. Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I have taken my lunch but I think I can still eat this...good looking and I can imagine the good smell of this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce, your herb mustard chicken looks so flavourful! I could eat a few of these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce. It looks yummy!
    Mustard chicken. Something new to me.
    The recipes seems easy. Ok. I'll try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce , that is one flavorful dish ! I just finished ingesting my deep-fried chicken but I'm still mooning over yours lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, your chicken looks so juicy and delicious and with that marinade, very flavourful (and I think baking bone-in thighs makes perfect sense).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chicken looks so flavourful, Joyce, and I love the side dish too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. morning joyce! yes, i agree with the rest, this one sounds very flavourful...i've never tried english mustard for baking chicken ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea what hot English mustard is. I have never seen it here. It sounds interesting. The chicken dish looks great and I can only imagine how flavorful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cooking with herbs is one of my favorite things to do in the kitchen. The mixture of herbs and mustard sounds really good, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chicken and mustard Joyce. This sounds delicious!!! GREAT idea "throwing" it in the oven, I would do the same thing!!! Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, I love the herby mustard flavourings on this chicken, and I totally would put it in the oven too. Quite apart from having to stand over it, there is nothing worse than the mess that frying chicken makes as it spatters all over the place - baking in the oven is definitely easier on every level.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my kind of recipe and I am bookmarking this one. I sometimes combine honey and mustard to use as a marinade. This one looks interesting with all the herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great chicken dish! I love to use oven rather than stove top. Glad you made the change and baked the chicken looks as delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sauce looks divine. Any excuse not to have to stand over a pan on the stove works for me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your recipe is on my menu Whats For Dinner Next Week, we are going to really enjoy it. Hope you have a cozy weekend and thanks for sharing your recipe!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Joyce, this recipe really speaks to me because I absolutely love the flavor of mustard! I think this chicken looks scrumptious and mouthwatering and I love the way you simplified it by baking it in the oven. A delicious meal for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. And much healthier. Good changes.

    ReplyDelete