Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Kai Phat Nam Phrik Phao (Chicken with Chilli Jam)

I have some Thai Basil plants growing in my potted garden and I was hoping that these plants would provide me with fresh basil leaves in time for Lena's Asian Food Fest event, featuring Thailand, and the timing is just right! The plants have grown and the leaves are ready to be used in my cooking pot.


Some of my Thai Basil plants.


More basil plants.


Harvested some of the basil leaves and fresh chillies for this dish below. 


Thai Chili Paste, known as Chilli Jam from the cookbook.


This is a simple stir-fry chicken dish which is great for "everyday dish". In the cookbook, there's a recipe for Chilli Jam paste, and from the photo I thought that it looked the same as the one I bought many months ago. Ransacked my pantry and out came this bottle of Thai Chilli Paste, magic! Haha! I bought this chilli paste many months ago and have forgotten all about it. I checked the ingredients contents, and they are exactly the same, so instead of making my own, I better use up this store-bought paste.


A perfect dish for a busy weeknight dinner. Very simple and easy to prepare, it takes just minutes. I've cooked just half a recipe and it was just right for me and hubby. We had it with rice for dinner. You may adjust the spiciness by adding more of the Chilli Jam for a spicier taste, or use less if you prefer a milder dish. 


Kai Phat Nam Phrik Phao (Chicken with Chilli Jam)
(adapted from "The Food of Thailand")
Serves 4
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
60ml (1/4 cup) coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1-1/2 tablespoons chilli jam, to taste
500gm skinless chicken breast fillets, finely sliced
a handful of holy basil leaves
1 long red or green chilli, seeded and finely sliced, for garnish

  1. Mix the fish sauce, oyster sauce, coconut milk and sugar in a small bowl.
  2. Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and stir-fry half the garlic over a medium heat until light brown. Add half the chilli jam and stir-fry for another 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add half of the chicken and stir-fry over a high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the wok. Repeat with the remaining garlic, chilli jam and chicken. Return all the chicken to the wok.
  3. Add the fish sauce mixture to the wok and stir-fry for a few more seconds or until the chicken is cooked. Taste, then adjust the seasoning if necessary. Stir in the basil leaves. Garnish with chilli slices.



Lena from frozen wings is hosting Asian Food Fest (Thailand) for this month, cook any food from Thailand and link your post. Drop by Lena's for more info about joining in this delicious event.





" I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest ( Thailand ) - November Month hosted by Lena of frozen wings



I'm sharing this post with :

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

17 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,
    Love this kind of simple and flavourful stir-fry dish.
    With this dish can have extra bowl of steamed rice anytime :D
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Joyce! You really have green fingers!!

    I'm too busy to cook lately.. n to blog too! I'm tired! Your Thai chicken dish looks appetizing... waking me up to think of what to cook for Lena's event! Help help! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those Thai basil plants! You are truly a gardening expert!
    The chicken must be very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This must be full of fragrance. I just bought 2 small pots of basil plant but having difficulty to grow them :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce
    Wish I have green fingers too. So good to have fresh herbs fresh from own garden. Thanks for sharing this wonderful delicious dish with us. Must be very flavourful with the basil .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have basil plant in my garden too. It is always handy when I need it in my kitchen :) love this flavourful and simple to prepare dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce,
    It looks so delicious. I believe the dish tastes better with fresh herbs from own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i loveeee this dish! chicken breast is my daily staple.... and with my favourite chili and herbs... this is another incredible dish.. i mean seriously! you just gave me another recipe for my CBs!!! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce, you are not only a good cook but you have green fingers too! Wonderful. Your chicken dish looks so appetizing and I need extra rice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice kick'in spicy and hot chilli chicken!
    btw, istead of chili jam, we used to called it chilli paste...
    i love this kind of thai product, especially the chilli with crab paste...
    superb for stir frying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi joyce, i believe this is the chilli paste that the thai call them ' nam prik phao'..hmm..myour dish must be very flavourful! i just had this thai basil cooked in soup for dinner just now. Thx Joyce for your entry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joyce , your dish looks so yummy and delicious , and its nice to have your fresh herbs on hand . Thanks for sharing :0

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love to see those herbs! My herbs project will start next year, finger cross. My hubby & I were in Thailand for 2 or 3 weeks of holiday & still remember how tasty a simple dish of a stir-fried chicken with basil leaves. Looking at your dish has reminded me of those days. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This chicken with chilli jam looks so mouth watering. I would eat this with a large bowl of rice to soak up the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce, I must go a look for this Thai chilli paste! It is so convenient to have herbs in the garden :)

    ReplyDelete