Thursday, November 21, 2013

Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi

Kimchi is Korea's national dish and there are different varieties of kimchi, depending on the regions and seasons. Kimchi is one of my favourites. I would never fail to order kimchi soup when we eat out at Korean restaurants. And have always wanted to try my hands at making my own kimchi, the traditional ones using cabbages, but I have yet to do so! When I was browsing thru one of my cookbooks "The Best of Asian Cooking", this recipe, in the Korean section for Vegetables and Salad, caught my attention. I love eating cucumber, which are always great in pickles, and these quick kimchi style pickled cucumbers sounds good to me. 


Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi are very easy to make, only thing is, make this about 5-6 hours in advance, keep them pickled in the refrigerator and enjoy them later!


I use only 1 Japanese cucumber as I am eating this alone. This is too spicy for the kids and hubby does not like kimchi! Haha, more for me to enjoy! 
For the cucumber : smoothen cucumbers by rubbing salt all over. Rinse and pat dry. Cut off about 1/2 inch from both ends of cucumber and discard the ends. Cut cucumber to 2-3 inch lengths. Stand cucumber slices cut side up. Make a slit across one side, but do not cut through. Sprinkle with some salt, set aside.
For the kimchi paste ; carrots, onions, ginger, chives and garlic are chopped finely. Mix all paste  ingredients together in a bowl with some fish sauce, chilli powder, stir to combine. 
To stuff : Squeeze gently excess water from cucumber. Fill the cavity with the kimchi paste.
Place in a bowl, and sprinkle the balance paste on the cucumbers. Keep refrigerated for 5-6 hours.


Six hours later. Enjoy!
This is SPICY, crunchy, salty!
I ate two as an appetizer at dinner time. And even great as a pickled filling for a sandwich. I sliced them up and use it for my egg sandwich for lunch. 


Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi
(source from "The Best of Asian Cooking")
3 Japanese cucumbers
60gm Kosher or sea salt

Stuffing :
45gm Chinese chives, finely chopped
30gm carrot, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2 slices ginger, finely chopped
3 tbsp fish sauce
2 to 2-1/2 tbsps chilli powder

  1. Smoothen cucumbers by rubbing with some salt.
  2. Cut 1-cm (1/2-in) off each end of cucumbers and discard. Slice cucumbers into 6-8cm (2-3in) lengths.
  3. Stand cucumbers on a cut side. Make a cut across one side of cucumbers but to not cut through. Sprinkle remaining salt on cucumbers. Set aside.
  4. Combine stuffing ingredients and mix well.
  5. Gently squeeze excess water from cucumbers or dry with a clean towel. Fill cavity with stuffing.
  6. Refrigerate stuffed cucumbers for 5-6 hours before serving. The stuffed cucumbers can be kept for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.


I'm submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #37 : Korean - Feast of Hansik (Nov 2013) hosted by Grace of Life Can Be Simple




I'm sharing this post with :

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

19 comments:

  1. I have never had a Kimchi I didn't love, Joyce. However, I'm not to fond of cucumbers. Are Japanese cucumbers similar to salad cucumbers?

    You know what, since no one at your house is thrilled with this dish and you couldn't possibly eat it all by yourself, could you, pass some my way and I'll be happy to be a "tester."

    Thank you so much for sharing, Joyce. It sure looks colorful too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really easy, and ready to eat in 6 hrs too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda realizaciòn se ve muy apetitoso buen plato,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..need long 6 hours only can indulge in. With that 6 long hours Im sure it is worth waiting to dig in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce! I love cucumber, this recipe is great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce, this dish looks delicious , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce , this is new version kimchi ya :) They look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Errrhmmm...I don't mind the cucumbers but not kimchi lol! I have tried it a few times and still do not like the taste of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow looks spicy... First time I see cucumber kimchi and it looks shiok to go with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce, your cucumber kimchi is delightfully delicious! It's very healthy and appetizing too. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i knew i can find lunch here.... love to try this cucumber kimchi even on its own. i love your recipe for the fact you don't use sugar... 很好!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks simple enough but yet so DELISH! bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce, I love kimchi! your cucumber kimchi show me new way to enjoy the kimchi! delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce, this is such an interesting recipe! My kids love cucumbers, this is something they may eat as they can take spicy food!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce, this looks super easy peasy and it has kimchi in it which means spicy and sour!! I love it!! Thanks for.linking up with the Feast of Hansik!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joyce , that looks very appetizing ! It's really great as a side to any soupy noodles :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, I don't really like kimchi but somehow I enjoy the one made with cucumber. Will try this!

    ReplyDelete