Sunday, December 29, 2013

Tiramisu

""Tis the Season" , it's celebration time over at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). "This week is all about celebration..... food or drink for holiday parties and entertaining". 


I have made some lovely Tiramisu and it was so easy and simple. Recipe calls for store-bought sponge cake, if you are pressing for time, it would be sensible to buy some. But since I have some time, I made a sponge cake using Donna Hay's basic sponge cake recipe, which is really easy and takes just minutes. 


I've made only half a recipe of the Basic Sponge Cake for one round cake. When the cake is cooled, I used a round cookie cutter to cut through the cake and sliced them in half horizontally. And I have made my own mascarpone cheese, which I've made the day before. Will share that next year, which is next week! There's a Little Thumbs Up event featuring "Cheese" as the ingredient for the month, and I'll be posting the Mascarpone Cheese then!  To make the cream, beat mascarpone cheese, cream and icing sugar until thick.

To make the Tiramisu, one half slice of sponge cake, is placed at the bottom of the glass which I'm serving in. The sponge slice is spooned over with a mixture of espresso coffee and Kahlua. Spoon some of the Mascarpone-Cream mixture over, then repeat with the other half of the sponge cake, the Coffee-liqueur mixture and the Mascarpone-Cream mixture. Refrigerate for about an hour to chill.



Sprinkle with some grated dark chocolate before serving.


Yum! Smells wonderful with the Kahlua!


Tiramisu
(adapted from donnahay.com)
400gm store-bought sponge cake, sliced and torn
1/3 cup (80 ml) espresso coffee, cooled
1/3 cup (80 ml) coffee-flavoured liqueur (I used Kahlua)
2 cups (500 gm) mascarpone
1/2 cup (125 ml) single (pouring) cream
1/2 cup (80 gm) icing (confectioners' sugar), sifted
finely grated dark chocolate, to serve

Press half of the sponge pieces into the bases of 4 x 1-1/2 cup-capacity (375 ml) glasses. Combine the coffee and liqueur and pour half over the sponge. Place the mascarpone, cream and icing sugar in a bowl and whisk until thick. Spoon half into the glasses. Repeat with remaining sponge, coffee mixture and mascarpone mixture. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate to serve.


Basic Sponge Cake (*I've made half a recipe for one cake, using 60gm sugar)
(adapted from donnahay.com)
1-1/4 cups (185 gm) plain (all-purpose) flour
6 eggs
3/4 cup (165 gm) caster (superfine) sugar
60 gm butter, melted

Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Sift the flour 3 times. Set aside. Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes or until thick and pale and tripled in volume. Sift the flour over the egg mixture and gently fold through. Fold through the butter. Grease 2x20-cm round cake tins and line the bases with non-stick baking paper. 
Pour half the mixture into each tin and bake for 25 minutes or until the cakes are springy to touch and come away from the sides of the tin. Cool on wire racks. 


IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized

To view what my friends are serving, drop by I Heart Cooking Clubs.


And I'm sharing this post with :


24 comments:

  1. That's so easy indeed, but don't have the ingredients :P The mascarpone are pretty pricey. Waiting for your recipe!:D Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiramisu is always welcome! I like this variation with sponge cake (and no raw eggs). But I can't tell you how impressed I am that you made your own mascarpone cheese! I'm looking forward to the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, I haven't tried making Tiramisu. This will be a good one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce, this looks so delicious and I didn't know we can make mascarpone from scratch! Can't wait to see your recipe! Thank you for joining Aspiring Bakers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce , Boy , do the Tiramisu look delicious , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't beat a great Tiramisu - yours looks divine - perfect for New Year's Eve don't you think??
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  7. another i'd always wanted to make this dessert but never got to it! and oh yes, i sure am looking forward to your homemade mascarpone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at you making everything from scratch, from the cake to the cheese itself! That is very impressive! Tiramisu is such a wonderful dessert. Yours look delicious and made with love :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so fun--I love your perfect layers and that you made your own cake and mascarpone. Yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Joyce. I love tiramisu, hehe! And I love how they were served in the glasses, just make them look even more attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look fwd to yr recipe on mascarpone cheese - I use this quite a lot and it would be good to see how it is made at home :D

    Lovely tiramisu too, one of my fav Christmas desserts! Thx again for linking and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i second emily, i want too! CHeers to a wonderful new year 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...a nice twist to classic tiramisu with the use of sponge cake

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favorite desserts!!!
    Have a wonderful blessed and happy New Year. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Joyce, lovely tiramisu! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce,

    Wishing you and your loved ones a great 2014 ahead! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tiramisu in a cup, yum! yum! Will definitely try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never made tiramisu and now I feel so inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm totally impressed that you made your own sponge for this, Joyce - I've never been brave enough to try making one, but maybe I should give Donna's recipe a try. Love that you made your own mascarpone too - I only ever make my own now as it's so easy and works out at a fraction of the price of the bought stuff. I definitely need to try this version of tiramisu - it looks and sounds gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete