Friday, May 2, 2014

Spiced Roast Potatoes with Yoghurt and Mint

"Rootie Patootie", is our catchy theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) for this week. It's all about root vegetables, and I've chosen to cook with the humble potatoes. 

I wanted a potato dish to serve with some baked rice and chicken. And this recipe from Nigel Slater's cookbook, "The Kitchen Diaries" looks nice, especially since I have all the ingredients, my homemade yoghurt and mint leaves from the garden pot.

Firstly, the potatoes, I've used russet, are first peeled, cut to big chunks and boil until they are just tender. Shake the potatoes chunks gently in the pan to bruise them a little with fluff edges. Onions are peeled, sliced thinly and fry in a little oil until soften, then stir in the chopped chillies, garlic and cumin seeds and let them warm through, taking care not to let them burn. Add the potatoes and turmeric, stir till they are evenly covered in the oil. Roast the potatoes in the oven for about 30 minutes until golden but not brown. For serving, place potatoes pieces on a plate and spoon over some yoghurt, a little sprinkle of mild chilli powder and chopped mint leaves.


 
My notes : Really nice, though in my opinion, it could do with a little bit more of spice, as this is rather mildly spiced. Maybe the next time, I would add some garam masala to give it a spice kick. Overall, a lovely dish, and I served this with some baked rice and a chicken dish.


Spiced Roast Potatoes with Yoghurt and Mint
(adapted from "The Kitchen Diaries", Nigel Slater)
4 medium potatoes
2 medium onions
vegetable or groundnut oil
2 chopped red chilli, as hot as you like
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

To finish :
4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
a little mild ground chilli
young mint leaves - a palmful, chopped

Peel the potatoes, cut them into the sort of pieces you would for normal roasting, then bring them to the boil in deep water. Add salt to the pot and simmer for ten to fifteen minutes, until the potatoes are approaching tenderness. You should be able to slide a knifepoint through them with almost no pressure. Drain the potatoes thoroughly, then very gently shake them in their pan so the edges fluff and bruise. Set the oven at 180C/Gas 4.
Peel the onions and slice them finely. Heat enough oil in a roasting tin to make a thin film over the bottom. The thicker the base, the less likelihood there is of the spices burning. As the oil warms, add the sliced onions and let them soften, then stir in the chopped chillies, garlic and cumin and let them warm through, stirring (and watching like a hawk) so that they do not burn. Add the potatoes to the hot oil, add the turmeric, then slowly stir and toss the potatoes so that they are covered with the seasoned oil.
Roast the potatoes in the preheated oven until they have started to crisp. Thirty to thirty-five minutes or so should it. You don't want them to be as brown as classic roast potatoes. They should be golden, and flecked with spice.
As the potatoes come from the oven, grind over a seasoning of salt, then spoon over the yoghurt, sprinkle with a very little mild ground chilli and scatter with the chopped mint leaves.
Enough for 4 as a side dish.

I'm linking this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC)

Grab button for IHCC

and 
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg



22 comments:

  1. something new to me...haven't eat before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you Joyce!! More spice would definitely be good :) I haven't tried such roast potatoes before and I'm sure they taste very yummy while warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce!
    When I first saw this recipe I thought the potatoes were going to be cooked with the yogurt. I don't think I would have liked that but, you never know, lol...

    I do like this recipe the way you have presented it though. I LOVE sour cream on any kind of potatoes, yes even mashed, lol...so, yogurt does make sense and it's a whole lot healthy too!!! Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious! We are experimenting with spicier foods in our kitchen, these look like a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce , like your twist on the potatoes , must try . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple and yummy potatoes dish! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potatoes my favorite vegetable, love this dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exquisito plato me encanta las papas especiadas,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love spicy foods with yogurt on the side to cool them down, but I don't often think of serving potatoes this way. They look delicious and like something I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks easy to make and delicious! Its going on my menu!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always looking for new ways to cook potatoes and these sound delicious. I agree, a little more 'kick' would taste great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love potatoes in any ways, this dish sound simple and tasty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, potatoes are always my favourite, this look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like you, I love to spice things up! I feel like I can never add too much flavor or spice to a dish. This looks so comforting and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce, the potatoes look terribly delish! I could just eat them on their own but...have to abstain for now sobs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree. A little garam masala never hurt any potato. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This potato dish sounds delicious, Joyce, and I'm thinking this would be a wonderful side dish to some roasted lamb. I think your idea of adding some garam masala is a wonderful suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joyce, I have tried bake or roast potatoes as my teens love potatoes but yet to try it with spice and yogurt. Your dish looks very fragrance and delicious, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Potatoes are my favorite. ;-) These look fabulous. I am also a big fan of garam masala and think it would be brilliant in this dish.

    ReplyDelete