Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Roasted Garlic and Rocket Chicken

"September Potluck", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). For our potluck theme, we are free to select any recipes from our current and previous featured chefs. 

I was looking for some recipes using rocket leaves, and did not really want to use it in a salad, but with something more than that. Searched thru Donna Hay's website and found this interesting Rocket Dressing! Sounds good and served with Roasted Garlic Chicken, already sounds delicious, as we are garlic lovers and who doesn't love roasted chicken!


My pot of Rocket Leaves (Arugula).


This Rocket Dressing is really nice. The leaves are fragrant, and peppery delicious. It is so simple and easy to make. The Rocket leaves are finely chopped and mix with some olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. 

Donna Hay has used one whole butterflied chicken, for roasting. I have used 3 whole chicken legs as it is only for the three of us. Three heads of garlic cloves are separated and placed under the chicken during the first hour of roasting. And the garlic cloves are pushed to the sides of the baking tray during the last 30 minutes of roasting. I actually placed the chicken legs, skin side down during the first 40 minutes, and turn them over with skin side up, for the rest of the roasting time, till they are brown and crispy. The only seasoning are some olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste. 


This is such a simple, easy and delicious meal. Everyone love the garlic! There's not a single clove of garlic left! Some of the garlic are really soft and creamy, while some which are at the corners of the tray, gets all crispy and crunchy! The chicken is really tasty with just the simple seasoning of olive oil, salt and black pepper, and the skin is deliciously crispy. Served with Rocket Dressing, delicious! Donna Hay does it again, with a simple, easy, fuss-free yet delicious dish. This Rocket Dressing would be great if spread on slices of baguette and grill till crisp. 


Roasted Garlic and Rocket Chicken
(adapted from donnahay.com)
3 small heads garlic, cloves separated
2 tablespoons olive oil
sea salt and cracked black pepper
1 x 1.6kg whole chicken, butterflied (I use 3 whole chicken legs)

rocket dressing :
1 cup baby rocket (arugula) leaves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the garlic on a baking tray, drizzle with half the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the chicken on top of the garlic and rub with the remaining oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour. Move the garlic from under the chicken to the edge of the tray and roast for a further 30 minutes, or until the chicken is golden and the garlic is tender. While the chicken is cooking, make the rocket dressing. Place the rocket, lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. Serve the chicken with the roasted garlic and rocket dressing. Serves 4.



This post is linked to I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), the theme for this week, September Potluck.

21 comments:

  1. This looks fingerlickingly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I roast organic local garlic all the flippin' time and it is heaven. Also makes for a killer sauce/gravy, when put together that way.

    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, this roasted chicken with the rocket dressing really sounds delicious! And I really love that it has lots of garlic. I love eating garlic hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You grow your vege! Simple, easy to prepare yet mouth watering roasted chicken. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummmm that chicken looks divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce, baby rocket / wild rocket leaves is rather expensive here. And you grow your own rocket. Your Roasted Garlic and Rocket Chicken look so yummy-licious :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow love the flavours of your chicken. Rocket has a very unique flavour and I can imagine how aromatic it makes the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce, I didn't receive any email from you (how strange!) but I haven't forgotten about THB. I posed my blog post on Sunday and just linked it as I was away....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great chicken dish Joyce, I like the idea of using arugula on the dressing. Nothing like crispy chicken skin...yum!
    Hope you are having a nice week :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so yummy! Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried arugula yet , would you mind If I come over and pick some from your garden ?! lol Love the look of your roasted chicken , it looks perfectly-cooked and I'm pretty sure quiet delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... i love this roasted chicken and it makes me drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Firstly your rocket is looking so healthy! Love it. And your chicken looks very very delicious - definitely loving your rocket dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce , what a wonderful dish , can't wait to try it .... thanks for sharing , I am pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could tell just by the thumbnail photo that this was a Donna Hay - so lovely and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful dish Joyce!
    Simple and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! That is chicken looks mouthwatering delicious, Joyce! I absolutely love that it has 3 whole heads of garlic. I'm with you, garlic + roasted chicken = love at first bite. I'm going to have to pin this recipe so I can make it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such pretty rocket! And you're so right Joyce, there's nothing not to love about roasted chicken, especially with garlic and a lively sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Donna's dishes. Cook from her often. Maybe I should switch to her for my PL dishes. And you grow your own Rocket? Outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness, this is Donna Hay simplicity at its tastiest best. I better all that garlic leaves that chicken tasting amazing, and I can imagine that rocket dressing with all kinds of chicken and fish dishes.

    ReplyDelete