Friday, October 24, 2014

Bite-Size Bacon and Cheese Scones

These cheesy bacon scones are so addictive! The first sentence from this recipe in the cookbook is, "I dare you to stop eating these!",  and that is a good reason enough to bake this right away! If you love bacon and cheese, then do yourself a favour, and bake this, on one weekend afternoon, when your family is around to enjoy these scones, fresh and warm, delicious, right after baking. Perfect for an afternoon tea-time treat, of course have a pot of warm tea ready!


Firstly, fry the bacon till crisp, chop to small pieces, keep aside while you prepare the dough.
The dough is mixed in the food processor, which takes about only a minute. Dump the dough on a lightly floured work surface, knead in the bacon pieces and bring the dough into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/2" thick, use a 1-1/2" cookie cutter, cut out as many scones as you can. Gather the scraps, and repeat.


The scones may be left as it is (on the left), or add a pinch of grated cheese over each one before baking (on the right). Of course, I topped all of the scones with grated cheese.


Bake in a preheated oven at 400F (200C), for about 12 minutes until golden. Remove from the pan and let cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.



Freshly baked and could not wait to eat it! Smells so cheesy nice!


Just like the author says, "I dare you to stop eating these!".  How true! I could not stop at just two or three, same goes with the family! Before we know it, most of the scones are gone! They are so good! Eating them while still warm, minutes after baking is the best! These scones are buttery, tender, tastes just amazing with the bacon and cheese. Do not skip the cheese topping, it really does "take the scones over the top", as in the author's own words. We had these with some warm tea, and it was raining heavily outside while we were enjoying these scones. Such perfect tea-time treat! 


Bite-Size Bacon and Cheese Scones
(adapted from "Willams-Sonoma : Home Baked Comfort", Kim Laidlaw)
makes about 4 dozen mini scones
3 thick slices applewood-smoked bacon (use streaky bacon)
2 cups (10oz/315g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup (4oz/125g) grated Asiago or Gruyere cheese (I use Cheddar)
pinch of kosher salt (omit salt, as but butter is salted)
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper (use 1/4 tsp)
1/2 cup (4oz/125g) cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks (use salted butter)
1 large egg
3/4 cup (6fl oz/180ml) heavy cream or whole milk (I use slightly less)

Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400F (200C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a frying pan, fry the bacon over medium-low heat until lightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and finely chop the bacon.
In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, cheese, salt, and pepper and pulse briefly to mix. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse meal. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and cream until blended. Pour the egg mixture into the processor and pulse just until the dough comes together.
Dump the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead in the bogacon and then bring the dough together into a ball. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/2 inch (12mm) thick. Using a 1-1/2-inch (4cm) biscuit cutter, cut out as many scones as you can. Gather the scrape of dough, roll out, and cut out more scones.
Space the scones evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the scones are golden, about 12 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.


I'm linking this post with :
Cook-Your-Books





17 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,
    I brought my pot of tea to enjoy with your cheesy scone for supper..lol
    Indeed these scone look inviting. I think i will have a few in one sitting!!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce, great dish! How about adding it to the Food on Friday: Cheese collection over at Carole's Chatter? Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce I love these scones!! Look absolutely delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! Cheese and Bacon go together like peanut butter and jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheese and bacon. I'd love munching on these with a cup of tea! Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Im so scared to try this now as if I try I know I wouldnt stop munching. The look at these scones already knew it is addictive! Thank you for sharing it out with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look so yummy! I want to try this one, maybe I will use bake fish or chicken. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    Can I substitute the bacon with cow's meat? Thanks.

    Ally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ally,
      I suppose you could, though I have not tried it with cow's meat. Or instead of bacon, you could use cooked chicken sandwich ham slices, chopped to small pieces. Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Hi Joyce, I always thought scones are hard and dry. Yours look so moist and soft but crusty on the outside. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce! Anything with bacon will get my attention hah..hah... These mini scones sure look delicious. Hmm...4 dozen, I wonder how many I can eat LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce, trust me, making those scones will let you have it either way - asking for more or it's just not enough! Those scones just look so so good and even better with bacon!! These will go in a jiffy in my house ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous flaky layers, Joyce. I want mine topped with cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh heavens Joyce! They sure look addicting enough. Dangerous I might add but oh so good. How did you ever get them so flaky? I always think of scones as being dry. Cheddar would be my choice too. I may go to bed dreaming about these tonight. Better yet, I may bake them in the morning for Marion!! Definitely pinning:)

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce, this definitely looks tempting.... love scones and sure would love to try some of your savoury ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok we r coming over.. Start making some now ��

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is nice...I like it so much. Nothing beats the combination of bacon and cheese. Of course, serve with coffee or tea and a cool weather, nothing can be better than this moment. :)

    ReplyDelete