Monday, October 6, 2014

Chicken Baked with Red Onions, Potatoes and Rosemary And Spring Couscous to Welcome Diana Henry

I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) is welcoming Diana Henry as our new featured chef for the next six months with the theme for this week "Welcome Diana Henry!". I am not familiar with Diana Henry and have never tried any of her recipes before. Did a search on the internet, and really like her recipes, especially her chicken recipes! In fact, I have already tried three of her chicken recipes, and like them all. Her new cookbook on chicken "A Bird In The Hand" will out in March 2015, definitely on my list!





To welcome Diana Henry into my kitchen for the next six months, I've made her simple and delicious Chicken Baked With Red Onions, Potatoes and Rosemary. That's not all, I've also made her Spring Couscous which is fresh and lovely.


Chicken thighs are rubbed with sea salt to crisp the skin (brilliant!). Onions, potatoes and garlic are placed in a single layer in a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper, pour over the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, leaving some sprigs whole and strip off leaves of the rest. Toss everything to combine, and tuck in the chicken thigh pieces. I sprinkled some black pepper over the chicken pieces. Bake at 200C for 45 minutes until the veggies are cooked and the chicken thighs are brown and crispy. Wonderful aroma in the kitchen while this is baking!



Simplicity at its best! The chicken thigh is so delicious, tender and moist with really crispy skin. The potatoes and onions are soft and tender, and the garlic are creamy and delicious. To serve with this delicious chicken, I've made Spring Couscous. When the chicken is almost done, I start on preparing the Couscous.


This Spring Couscous is definitely spring! It is fresh and lovely. Recipe uses pistachio nuts, which I have omitted cos someone in the house do not like nuts. Using herbs from my garden pot, fresh mint, coriander leaves and scallion, season with salt and lemon juice, I served the couscous on "lettuce cups". An easy, simple and delicious meal that does not take up much time at all. 

I am waiting (rather impatiently!) for my books to arrive, meanwhile, both these recipes can be found at the links provided in the recipes.


Chicken Baked with Red Onion, Potatoes and Rosemary
(adapted from "Pure Simple Cooking", Diana Henry or here)
2 red onions, each cut into 10 wedges
2 bulbs garlic, unpeeled and separated into cloves
500gm waxy baby potatoes, leave the skin on
salt and pepper
8 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
5 sprigs rosemary
8 chicken thighs, rubbed with sea salt to crisp the skin
  1. Spread the vegetables and garlic in a single layer over the base of a huge roasting tin so that they will crisp and brown beautifully. Season, pour over the oil and balsamic vinegar and add the rosemary, leaving some sprigs whole and strip off the leaves of the rest.
  2. Toss the vegetables with your hands and tuck the chicken pieces in among them. Bake for 45 minutes at 200C/400F/GM6 until cooked through.
  3. Transfer everything to a big platter or take to the table in the roasting tin. Serve a green salad on the side.

Spring Couscous
(adapted from "Food From Plenty", Diana Henry, or here)
1 cup couscous
3/4 cup boiling water or chicken stock
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (I use 3 tbsps)
salt and pepper
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 tbsp each fresh parsley, mint and cilantro
3 tbsp shelled, unsalted pistachio, chopped

Sprinkle the couscous into a bowl and add the stock or water, seasoning and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Let the couscous plump up for about 15 minutes, then fork it through to separate the grains and aerate it. It will still be hot.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients and taste for seasoning.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC),  for this week's theme, "Welcome Diana Henry!"
grab button for I Heart Cooking Clubs



Cook-Your-Books


*******************************************************

I will be taking a short blogging break. Cook-Your-Books will be on as usual, please do keep your posts coming.  I will try to visit your blogs if I can. Until then, have a delicious week, everyone!


21 comments:

  1. Don't know anything about her...but if all her recipes are as good as your couscous salad, then I have no doubt I will love too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, I am not familiar with Diana Henry either but looking at this yummy chicken dish, I think I will be a fan soon! I really love this dish that you attempted and I am earmarking it for this weekend's dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy! and the couscous are so easy to prepare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray! This is such a great chicken recipe ... simple and so basic, but perfectly executed! I'm willing to bet that you are going to really enjoy getting to know Henry and her style of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with her either, Joyce, but I look forward to seeing more of her recipes here! The chicken and couscous look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce! Lovely dish! Is this IHCC linkup open to all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce,
      IHCC is open to anyone who wishes to join in. We are cooking from the recipes of Diana Henry for the next six months, with different weekly themes. For full details, you may visit IHCC to find out more at this link.
      http://iheartcookingclubs.blogspot.com/2009/09/welcome.html?zx=38c5e65c751acd41
      Hope you can join us!
      Have a great week!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info Joyce! Every time I see your post pops up on my blog reader, I'm so excited to read! :D

      Delete
  7. Your dishes look fantastic Joyce. I received my books not too long ago and had already flagged the couscous recipe to make. I'm looking forward to the next 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks absolutely scrumptious! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. welcome welcome and Boy! That chicken looks divine- the red onions bring that wonderful sweetness that I love so much with chicken. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great choice to welcome Diana. I can eat a chicken dish just about any night. One of my favorites.

    Hope your blogging break is to go have fun! Also, thanks for the nice comment at my site, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two GREAT recipes to welcome Spring and Diane Henry. I'm looking forward to learning more about her and her recipes, Joyce.

    Thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! What a nice meal Joyce...as you are entering Spring we are into Fall...great way to celebrate Spring...
    Enjoy the rest of your week :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious. Unfortunately I don't own any book from her, my cookbook shelf doesn't allow to buy more.
    I can't wait to try this recipe in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce, looks like a great cookbook, love hearing about different cookbook authors. Sounds like a great combination of flavors with the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great choice for a welcome dish, Joyce. Perfect flavours for roast chicken. I think you're going to really enjoy Diana's recipes. I've bought two of her books, and I am totally in love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The chicken is so simple to make, and looks so delicious! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you should be crowned the Queen of Chicken Dishes.. i love all your chicken variations Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, Joyce!! Both your chicken dishes look so delish and tempting. Honestly, if I were to have a choice, I wouldn't be able to decide. Although I've never tried coucous with chicken before, I'm sure it would taste absolutely smashing :) I can't wait for my book either and I think it's going to take quite a while @@ Somehow, I am beginning to love Diana Henry more and more as I uncover alot of her recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both recipes look fabulous. I had one of Diana's books but ordered a couple more of them. I think she is going to be fun to cook along with. ;-)

    ReplyDelete