Friday, October 17, 2014

Kimchi-guk (Kimchi Soup)

I have made this kimchi soup many times using my homemade kimchi. I love kimchi soup and could finish a whole bowl of this soup, and slurp on every last drop!


Really easy to make, and it is simply delicious!

In a pot, mix 2 cups of chopped kimchi, it's juices and some from the jar, pork pieces, hot pepper paste and sugar, mixing all to combine. Pour in 5 cups of water,  bring to a boil, lower heat and bring soup to a simmer for about 30-40 minutes until pork is tender. Add salt to taste if necessary. Add in tofu pieces, simmer gently for about 10 minutes, add in spring onions which have been cut to 2" sections. Serve hot.  I have added in more hot pepper paste (gochujang), as I like the soup a little more spicy. Use less hot pepper paste for a milder soup, but if you love heat, you would probably add on more, just like I did! 


I found this recipe at this wonderful website, all on Korean food, Maangchi.com.  There are so many mouth-watering recipes that I would love to try! 


Delicious! With just this one dish, you would eat two bowls of rice!


Kimchi Soup
(source from : Maangchi)
2 cups chopped kimchi, (plus its juices, and a tablespoon or two, from the jar)
1/2 pound pork shoulder (or pork belly), cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tbsp hot pepper paste (gochujang)
1 tsp sugar
5 cups water
2 stalks green onion, chopped
1 pc tofu


  1. Combine the kimchi, hot pepper paste, kimchi juice, pork, and sugar in a heavy bottomed pot.
  2. Add water and bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 30 minutes. (Add salt to taste if necessary).
  3. Add tofu and lower the heat to medium low. Cook for another 10 minutes.
  4. Add green onion and remove from the heat.
  5. Serve hot with rice and a few more side dishes if desired.

I'm linking this post with Souper Sundays @ Kahakai Kitchen


18 comments:

  1. I've never had kimchi but love soups and cabbage so I'm sure I would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using kimchi in soup is such a great idea...specially now that the weather is getting colder...thanks for the inspiration Joyce.
    Have a wonderful weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had kimchi jjigae last week too.... this looks super super appetizing and yums. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious and lovely looking kimchi soup. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce! I am not really fond of kimchi but somehow I do love the kimchi soups. It is very flavourful, and yes, I love it extra spicy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am yet to try a good kimchi. The one I tried was in a food court in Midvalley , and it didnt have this vibrant red colour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - what a great soup! I really enjoy kimchi, but have never made a soup with it before. I bet it it super flavorful and also very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, Joyce, that soupl really does look amazing! It's a chilly day here in PA, that soup sure would warm things up!

    Thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kimchi soup looks very appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still wary of kimchi as some restaurants are not good at making this! Yours looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so yummy! Too bad I can't eat cabbage yet. Still breastfeeding my 14mo. Cabbage is my milk killer. I miss kimchi soup so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think my friend will really like this yummy kimchi soup. Thanks Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joyce, love kimchi, bet this is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice!!! Your kimchi soups looks like it could warm the soul.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are really versatile in your cooking! Kimchi also homemade, really take my hat off for you lol! I am not so crazy about kimchi although I would eat if it is really well done. Yours looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love kimchi--although I am a medium heat kind of girl. ;-) I made a grilled cheese sandwich with kimchi and a soup once too. Both were so flavorful and good. Thanks for sharing your soup this week at Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Joyce, I love this kimchi soup as I used to cook it too. Very appetizing and for me just the soup itself if enough for me. I usually throw in whatever ingredients that are available and at the end, still very ho jiak. Nice to have it with noodles too. Thanks for sharing and warmest regards :)

    ReplyDelete