Friday, October 31, 2014

THB : Chocolate-Topped Prune Cake

Bake #43 at The Home Bakers (THB), Chocolate-Topped Date Cake is selected by Angela of The Charmed Cupcakes.

As you can read from the title, I have used prunes instead of dates. Firstly I do not have any dates, and secondly I really need to clear the prunes from my pantry! 



I made half a recipe, used a 6" loose-bottomed pan. Mixed the batter by hand since it was a small amount. I have omitted the chocolates in the batter, using only the prunes which I've sliced to pieces, scatter with baking soda in a bowl, and pour in hot boiling water, leaving it to soak until it comes to room temperature, following the method in the recipe for dates. I have reduced the sugar to a quarter amount from the full recipe for half a cake, and it was just nice.  For the topping, I have used only a scattering of chocolate chips, keeping it simple. Originally, the recipe for the topping uses chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, sugar and cocoa powder.


The cake is moist, soft, tender and lovely eaten with a cup of tea.


For the full recipe and instructions, please visit the host of this bake, Angela of The Charmed Cupcakes, where she has made this cake into a bundt cake with delicious oozing chocolate ganache over the top. To view other members' bake, please visit The Home Bakers (THB).


Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas. This is our bake no. 43 and we have 17 recipes more to go.


10 comments:

  1. This prune cake looks really soft and moist and I would love to have a piece to go with a glass of cold chocolate milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce , two words covers it all , deliciously yummy , pinning thanks for sharing NEE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce, this cake looks moist and yummy. I like that you "scattering of chocolate chips, keeping it simple" ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hv lots of dates. I give you some and u can bake this for me .. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hv a bag of prunes sitting in the cupboard but had always been sceptical using it for bakes.. i think it's time i move out of my comfort zone to try this since i love the THB bakes

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is nice, I cannot resist chocolate lokl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, I have since come to appreciate prunes in cakes! Any idea why do prunes have to be soaked with baking soda? I saw that in a recipe and I have yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my kind of afternoon tea cake. It looks luscious and delicious with chocolate topping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce,
    you bake turned out beautiful :) I might try this cake again next time but with figs.

    ReplyDelete