Saturday, July 2, 2016

Raw Vegetable Slaw with Creamy Garlic Dressing

This week at Cook the Book Fridays (CtBF), the selected recipe is Raw Vegetable Slaw with Creamy Garlic Dressing. CtBF is an online group of food bloggers who are currently cooking from David Lebovitz's latest cookbook, My Paris Kitchen. 

Firstly make the dressing by combining mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, Dijon mustard and ground black pepper, in a bowl until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours before using. Now there's a confusion about the amount of garlic when I read the concerns posted at CtBF, is it really 2 tablespoons or supposed to be just 2 cloves? So for a start, I've used two cloves, chopped finely, add to the dressing, and mixed to combine. I had a little taste of the dressing, it was really good, and the taste of the garlic is definitely there, so that was the amount of garlic I've used, only 2 cloves. 


Combination of shredded veggies ; red and green cabbage, carrots, broccoli and apples.

Six cups of thinly shredded vegetables is used with the combination of the suggested veggies given by David. I have however only used these veggies ; red and green cabbage, carrots, apple, broccoli. And I have even skipped the parsley and chives, simply because I have forgotten to buy them! I thinly shred the vegetables using a sharp knife, one process that I quite enjoy doing!



Toss the dressing with the raw shredded vegetables and serve. There's hard-boiled eggs in the ingredients. I did make the hard-boiled eggs, but did not add them to the slaw at the last moment, as I think the slaw is delicious as it is. However, I served the chopped eggs in a separate bowl, and letting the family help themselves, adding to their slaw if they want to. This is a delicious slaw and one that I would be making again.

Do drop by CtBF to see the other lovely ladies take on this raw slaw, perhaps with different combinations of veggies.



10 comments:

  1. This was so good, wasn't it. We really enjoyed the dressing, one that I will be repeating again on other
    salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crunchy and delicious! That creamy garlic dressing sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great idea to use the eggs as a garnish, rather than mixing them into the salad. Love the combination of ingredients you chose - your salad sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was good, especially with the creamy dressing. I like the fact that we can use many different types of vegetables to prepare this. Your looks quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you used broccoli in your salad, raw or blanched? I totally forgot about the herbs for garnishing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful salad, Joyce! So colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look delicious Joyce !
    And we love garlic dressing !
    ♡♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful salad! I think the garlic thing is the perfect example of "use to taste." Not just for tastebuds, but because garlic can really vary in terms of its strength! Totally agree that this is a salad to make over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this dish too- in fact will be making it this weekend again

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your slaw looks great! I like the idea of adding a chopped egg too. I'll have to do that next time.

    ReplyDelete