Monday, July 3, 2017

Egg Tartare

It's Potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), and I've made Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Egg Tartare for lunch.

Quick and easy lunch snack to make. I've omitted the dill and have replaced the parsley with cilantro. And added a pinch of paprika instead of Tabasco sauce.



I thought that my Egg Tartare was a little runny, maybe because the yolks are quite runny to begin with. But I am not complaining! 😉 We had the Egg Tartare with some store bought bread, makes a nice, quick lunch, and a full tummy! With a mug of hot black coffee.


Egg Tartare
(River Cottage Everyday, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall)
6 medium eggs, at room temperature
4 spring onions, or 2 small shallots, finely chopped
3-4 gherkins (about 30gm), finely diced
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped dill (optional)
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 dab of Dijon mustard
2-3 dashes of Tabasco sauce (optional)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
slices of wholemeal, sourdough, rye or your favourite bread, to serve

First, boil the eggs. They should be what I call soft-hard-boiled that is, the whites completely set but the yolks just a bit runny in the middle. I achieve this pretty reliably by putting them in a pan of hand-hot water, covering it and bringing it quickly to the boil, then boiling for exactly 4 minutes - 5 if they are extra large. Then I run the eggs under the cold tap and peel them as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
Roughly chop the eggs and mix with the spring onions or shallots, gherkins, capers, parlsey and dill, if using.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard and Tabasco, if using, Gently combine this mixture with the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Serve on wholemeal, sourdough or rye bread, as closed or open sandwiches.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
June IHCC Potluck

and
I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #19 hosted by 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for another 'stuff-on-toast' idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never had an egg tartare..it surely looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I hear tartare I think of something meaty. Glad to see a vegetarian option ;)

    ReplyDelete