Sunday, July 9, 2017

Two-Root Slaw

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), the theme is Salads & Sides. I made some slaw to serve alongside some roasted chicken. Recipe uses two types of root veggies ; carrots and celeriac. Since it is almost impossible to find celeriac over here, I've used what I had in my fridge ; stalks of celery instead, since we love celery in  salads. So I should really call this slaw as "Root-Stem Slaw"! 

Very easy and quick to put together. I sliced the veggies into matchsticks instead of grating. As for the lemon juice, I've only added a squeeze or two, instead of from 1/2 a lemon, as we do not like sour slaw.



A very nice slaw indeed. Great side dish for roasted chicken.


Two-root Slaw
(River Cottage Everyday, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall)
serves 6
2-3 large carrots
1/2 celeriac (about 400gm) (I've replaced with 2 stalks of celery)

for the dressing :
4 tablespoons good mayonnaise
2 teaspoons English mustard
juice of 1/2 lemon, or a dash of cider vinegar
1 tablespoon caraway seeds, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan (optional) (omitted)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Peel the carrots and celeriac and coarsely grate them into a bowl (or use a mandolin on the matchstick setting, if you have one).
Beat together all the ingredients for the dressing, pour them over the grated vegetables and stir to coat thoroughly.
Pack in you lunchbox or serve at home, allowing the flavours to develop for an hour or so beforehand. It's good with cold meats, especially ham and tongue, or after a stew or shepherd's pie.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
Salads & Sides


and
I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #19 hosted by 


4 comments:

  1. I love both root veggies! It looks like a great slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to sub the celery for the celeriac.I think it is always worth it to go with what you have on hand and see if you can make it work! This looks like a colorful and tasty side dish for chicken:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my to-do list! Good to know about the celery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The slaw is showing off the fresh and crunchy vegetables.

    ReplyDelete